2479/1215 Progress Summary - 2007
From John Ezovski
Sometimes it might feel that not much is being accomplished, but my notes show that is not the case!
- Wire wheeled and repainted.
- Weld all remaining stay bolt holes - about 14.
- Attach by welding remaining staybolt half sleeves.
- Install and hammer seal all remaining firebox staybolts.
- Pad weld 6" x 4" "waste" area of firebox on left side along running board.
- Weld fitting to backhead for water column. Test fit column.
- Extensive measurements of the crown sheet stays were made for use in future calculations.
- #2 Pedestals
- Weld large cracks where pedestal joins main frame beam for wedge
pedestal 2 left, 2 right shoe and 2 right wedge.
- Replace #2 left pedestal face.
- Grind flat #2 left and right shoe and wedge pedestal shoulders
after weld repair.
- Running Gear
- Measure, measure and more measurements of frame with and without shoes installed.
- Trim drive spring saddles.
- Locomotive brake foundation
- Remove brake levers
- Grind and weld approximately 9 large cracks in brake foundation.
Install brake levers (again).
- SP1215 Pipes and appliances removed cataloged in Portola and stored in San Jose
- SP 1215 moved to San Jose from Portola
- Caboose was re configured with railfair displays
- Clark Forklift
- Remove, repair and reinstall vertical hydraulic cylinder for Clark forklift.
- Remove, repair and reinstall tilt cylinders.
- Remove for repair water pump - install.
- Manufacture hardware to mount new operator's seat.
- Wiggins Forklift
- Remove for repair and install both vertical hydraulic cylinders.
- Remove for repair both tilt hydraulic cylinders.
- 40 Ton Press
- Moved and installed under outdoor shop.
Required adding roof extension to contain upper housing of press.
- Cut lots of grass and weeds.
- Improve site appearance by consolidating rail/tie and other misc. items.
- Clean debris along perimeter fence.
- Compressor and welding sheds were repainted.
- Herder shack was moved.
- General site cleanup.
- The compressor and the welding sheds were cleaned and repainted.
- Field review of Little butter cup in Sacramento and report.
- Number of meetings with Neighbor association.
- ARM convention attendance.
- Many locomotive parts and assemblies have been reconditioned for subsequent re-installation.
- Two scale models of the proposed San Jose Railroad Museum were created.
One is the size of a very large briefcase and the other is N-scale and about the size of a table tennis table.